Monday, May 4, 2015

Building the Blocks - Ugly Quilt

Here are what I have been working on this week. I am okay with the way that they are coming out. 

I have someone I love who is coming over and looking at the tiny differences in the seams and the sizes of the blocks, and making small comments about my problems. 

So, I have learned something about myself. I have found that people telling me the tiny things that are wrong with my quilts REALLY makes me crazy. 

Like...snappy, cranky, bust-out-the Midol crazy. 

I try to stay positive and kind, but I am swallowing down some SERIOUS mean comments. Does anyone have someone like that?


One block of the Ugly Quilt

Orange Block of the Ugly Quilt

Just a bit of a stack left to do
 I am working on getting this finished. I want to get it together, so that I can quilt it and put it in the back of the van. The kids like to watch movies on long drives, and to snuggle. While this fabric is all clearance, it will be soft once I have washed it. Now....trying to be positive...so here is a little picture of my Bears at the park.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think your fabrics are ugly at all Katie! I love warm, fall colors - especially together. I can't believe someone is being critical of your work. Seriously! It would make me crazy too - for sure! Most everyone I know and see my work are muggles so they don't know that my seams aren't perfect or my blocks not all the same size! You could throw it back on them and say you are sorry you are disappointing them and how are they able to make theirs so perfect? Not that you really ARE sorry or WANT their opinion but it might catch them off guard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shari. I like the colors too, but the fabric is cheap-o. It is going to the back of my van to keep the bears warm as we travel.

      The nit-picking was from a non-quilter. Doh! It was one of those moments when I realized that I didn't actually WANT someone's opinion. Is it wrong to admit that?

      Delete
  2. You should tell your loved ones to take a hike and get a life in the way :) I have someone who just tells me I should make something besides triangles and squares :))) He'd like more artsy looking, landscape quilts. Someday! You shouldn't show your work to the criticizing person anyways... Just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete